Maggies Book Club was created in March 2012 and since then has maintained a core membership of six. We would welcome new members. We’re an informal bunch, trying to read books we wouldn’t otherwise pick for ourselves, so yes, there is no ‘chick lit’!
The books we have read so far are:
- March 2012: Julian Barnes – ‘Sense of an ending’,
- April 2012: Ralph Ellison – ‘The Invisible Man’,
- May 2012: Voltaire – ‘Candide’,
- June 2012: Irene Nemirovsky – ‘Suite Francaise’,
- July 2012: Virginia Woolf – ‘To the lighthouse’,
- August 2012: David Mitchell – ‘Cloud Atlas’,
- September 2012: Margaret Atwood, ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’,
- October 2012: Oscar Wilde, ‘The Portrait of Dorian Grey’,
- November 2012: Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows – ‘The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society’,
- December 2012: (holidays, no Book Club)
- January 2013: Isabel Allende, ‘The House of Spirits’,
And now, for February 2013: James Joyce, ‘The Dubliners’
We meet on the 3rd Thursday of each month, at 8pm, in the restaurant area of the Turk’s Head Pub in St Margarets. Our next meeting is on Thursday 21st February.
We are all women at the moment, but men are very welcome. Our ages range from mid-thirties to sixty-plus, so there is a wide mix of interests, experiences and tastes!
If you would like to come along, please email the Club Secretary at email@example.com.