Please come to a public meeting to hear about the impact of budget and staffing cuts on the service that Kew provides on Wednesday, 22 October 2014 from 7.00pm to 8.45pm.
The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew is more than just a set of beautiful gardens - it is a world leader in conservation and botanical science with over 250 years of history. Kew has faced year-on-year cuts to operating grant in aid funding from the government. In 1983 90% of Kew's funding came from the UK government as grant in aid, now funding has been reduced to under 40%. Despite a temporary reversal of this year's cut by Nick Clegg, Kew remains under threat. Unless we can persuade the government to assure an adequate operating budget, Kew will axe the posts of further dedicated expert staff including those doing essential botanical work unique in the UK. The cuts are unsustainable and make no sense as staff cuts actually reduce Kew's ability to increase its own income generation.
The situation at Kew is critical with:
- a further shift towards commercial activity, moving staff away from Kew's core purpose
- deterioration of Kew's World Heritage Site estate
- planned reductions in security putting public and collections at risk
- mothballing of partially completed projects wasting existing funds and investment. Please support Kew by coming to the meeting and by:
- Signing the petition at: bit.ly/save_kew
- Writing to your MP to encourage them to reverse and prevent further cuts to Kew's funding and ask them to sign Early Day Motion 117
- Read kewcuts.org for more information
- The Avenue Halls, The Avenue, Kew TW9 2AJ - just off Kew Road - nearest Tube is Kew Gardens (District line)
- Speakers: Zac Goldsmith MP, John McDonnell MP, other speakers to be confirmed
- Contact Cathy Cross at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0778 812 8395 for more information.
Kew is a national asset of international significance. We need your support to secure Kew's future in order to secure a better future for all of us.
The Avenue Halls, The Avenue, Kew TW9 2AJ - just off Kew Road - nearest Tube is Kew Gardens (District line)